Re: a few questions

Nick Lamb (njl98r@ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Wed, 11 Aug 1999 23:22:01 +0100 (GMT)

On Wed, 11 Aug 1999, Hugo van der Kooij wrote:
> The `modprobe -a` at boot up does take of that allready.
>
> Hugo.

modprobe -a? At boot up?

Either you mean "depmod -a", which isn't necessary at bootup and is only
done as a precaution in case you've rebuilt a modular kernel without
reading the associated documentation... In which case NO, that doesn't
take care of this at all, it just creates a dependency tree for later.

Or you really do mean "modprobe -a", in which case this whole discussion
was redundant because that loads ALL THE MODULES whether they are necessary
or not, and the SCSI generic is already running. I doubt this is true,
because it defeats half the point of a modular kernel.

Regardless - Yes, just loading "sg.o" would likely work on most systems
because SCSI core and SCSI mid are already loaded and running, but it
is still best practise to always use "modprobe" unless you've a good
reason not to do so.

Nick.