Re: Slide scanner support?

Andreas Rick (rickand@gemse.fr)
Tue, 10 Aug 1999 08:54:10 +0200

Benedikt Eric Heinen wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm looking towards getting a new slide scanner. I'd like to know, which
> models are currently supported under linux-i386 (a solution using sane
> would be preferred, but depending on scanner quality I might go for
> something else as well)?
>
> I've seen the backend list, but it doesn't say, which ones of these
> scanners are slide scanners. So far, I know that
>
> - Nikon Coolscan II (how about Coolscan III, or LS-2000?),
> - Canon Canoscan 2700F, and
> - Mikrotek Scanmaker 35t+
>
> are supported. What about others?
>
> Currently, I am using a Coolscan II, but this one has its weaknesses
> with darker pictures, and it seems like, Nikon can't fix this problem
> (they claim, the scanner is 100% OK).
> The Coolscan III and LS-2000 are advertised to have some sort of
> "scratch detection/elimination" - are these things wired into the scanner,
> or is this a pure software thing (e.g. do I have access to this feature in
> sane/The Gimp)?

I have been adapting Didiers Coolscan Backend for the LS-30/2000.
It is still alpha, but the main functionality is there.

On the hardware-side the dust-removal is implemented by a
4th color channel (infrared) which only shows the dust.
The software side is responsable for using that information
to interpolate the occluded regions.

The latest version of my backend together with a gimp-plugin
that I wrote, includes a simple version of the dust-removal.
It works, but it is not production code yet as there are some
manual adjustments to do.

You may have a look at my homepage for more details
http://andreas.rick.free.fr/

I am also working on getting 12 or 14 Bit images out of the LS-30
(by multi exposure scanning) to further reduce noise in dark
areas.
To day the LS-30 is supported for 10 Bit scanning and the LS-2000
for 12 Bit.
Multiple scanning on the LS-2000 is not supported yet.

If you consider buying a LS-30 or LS-2000, please ask Nikon about
the scanners SCSI documentation BEFORE BUYING, saying
it is very important to you to use it under Sane.
All the work I have done on the Backends so far is
without the docs!!!
They have not replied so far to my request for documentation.

Andreas