RGBI (was Re: xsane-0.31 available)

Nick Lamb (njl98r@ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Tue, 3 Aug 1999 18:23:06 +0100 (GMT)

On Tue, 3 Aug 1999, Oliver Rauch wrote:
> it does not make any sense to define thousands of frame formats if the
> frontends are not able to handle them.
> So the right way is to make available the formats the frontends are able to
> save,
> that is 1 bit, gray, RGB and RGBA. We could also add CMYK and such things,
> also JPEG could be interisting, and I think one day we will add this.
> A second thing is to define a frame like SANE_FRAME_RAW
> where the frontend simply dumps the data into a file. But that is one file
> format and
> there is no need to define thousands of SANE_FRAME_WHATEVER
> because the fronends will not be able to handle it.

It is not the purpose of SANE to define a nice format for saving images
as JPEG files on your harddisk. That job was done by JPEG/JFIF.

If you don't have any technical reasons (and "I think Infrared is a lot
like Alpha" isn't a technical reason) for removing this frame format,
which IS ALREADY IN USE then please put it back. The fact that saving
RGBI->RGBA might not be faithful is not helped by renaming RGBI.

I see no sign of "thousands of SANE_FRAME_WHATEVER" -- Come back with
this doom-laden message when we have even TEN such frame types.

I can't see a use for SANE_FRAME_RAW -- If I receive a SANE_FRAME_RAW I
am now the proud owner of some random bytes. The contents are totally
undefined, so why use SANE at all?

SANE_FRAME_CMYK would be useful only if someone made a device which
exports such data. I'm not aware of any such devices.

SANE_FRAME_JPEG is useful, and was proposed (in some form) for SANE 2.0
Since we now have someone on the list who wants to export this kind of
frame, we should try to see what can be done to accomodate it ASAP.

Nick.