Re: Problem with Astra 1200s

Oliver Rauch (oliver.rauch@Wolfsburg.DE)
Sat, 24 Jul 1999 08:34:14 +0200

Lee Nevo wrote:

> I recently purchased the UMAX Astra 1200s due to the excellent support
> for UMAX scanners that sane seems to provide. However after reading as
> much documentation as I could find on the site, I seem to be going
> nowhere. After setting SANE_DEBUG_UMAX, and re-running scanimage, it
> seems to get to the point of "Trying to reposition scanner..." and
> hangs. After I ^C, I no longer get any results from find-scanner until I
> reset the scanner.
>
> I've searched mailing list, and the newsgroups and haven't found any
> info to help me out. After reading the man page for sane_scsi, I made
> some changes to my BusLogic SCSI BIOS according to the directions, but
> that didn't seem to help. I've set SANE_DEBUG_UMAX, and
> SANE_DEBUG_SANEI_SCSI both to 128 and I will attach the output.
>
> I did test the scanner under Windows, and everything seemed to work
> fine. As I've pretty much eliminated my need to ever boot that OS again,
> I would REALLY like to get this working. I'm not much of a hardware
> hacker, but I'll do what I have to.

Hi Lee,

1) update to the recent umax backend that you can download from my homepage
(address see down)

2) if that does not help, disable the scsi to ide driver, don`t know may be this has a

negative influence!

3) if that does not help:
how long are your scsi cables (internal + external), how is the scsi bus terminated?

Bye
Oliver

--
EMAIL: Oliver.Rauch@Wolfsburg.DE