Re: Xsane questions and wish list

Oliver Rauch (oliver.rauch@Wolfsburg.DE)
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 16:59:05 +0200

Steve Gunnell wrote:

> I recently tried Xsane 0.27 as an alternative frontend to
> xscanimage. Most of my current operations are negative scans
> from my HP Photosmart. From the way things operate I would
> guess Xsane loads a gamma map into the scanner based on the
> various preview settings. Does this map operate on the 10
> bit values that the Photosmart supposedly has internally?
> I have R032 of the scanner firmware which only returns 8
> bit values to the computer and I am noticing that some of
> my histograms are starting to get a little sparse.

xsane uses the gamma bit depth the backend uses,
but the scanner gamma table has to be activated (normally
by custom gamma table in standard options, but backend dependent)!
Check it in the info window (gamma correction by scanner!)

Ask the backend author about the supported bit depth!

> I have been trying to use the white-point pippette to
> remove the negative colour mask but there always seems
> to be residual colour. Could the pippette tools be altered
> to average a range of values? Being able to shift-click and
> drag to select a range of pixels to average would be optimal.

I will not add such an option in the next time, don`t know if ever!
For fine tuning use the sliders in the histogram window!

> Failing that, I have found the numeric value boxes on the
> gimp histogram tool to be ideal for entering colour
> correction values. A window giving the colour values for the
> white grey and black points would be a good alternative.

For what do you need the values? In the histogram window
you have the silders and the color density is given in the
histogram window.

If you want to use values take the brightness, contrast and gamma
values!

Bye
Oliver

--