Re: Artec AT6 yet again

aanderson = (aanderson3@uswest.net)
Sat, 3 Jul 1999 08:53:16 -0600 (MDT)

>From POPmail Fri Jul 2 23:45:03 1999
>Date: Sat, 3 Jul 1999 01:39:01 -0500
>From: "Brian B." <ixnay@wws.net>
>To: aanderson = <aanderson3@uswest.net>
>Subject: Re: Artec AT6 yet again

> as per: "Brian B." <ixnay@wws.net>
>
>I was actually needing to know if this card worked fine for scsi disk access.

I have used the aha1520B for disk and CDrom access for over 2 years on
kernels 1.3.x, 2.0.33,2.0.36,2.0.37,2.2.10, without any trouble, other
than I had to fool the driver into recognizing it for all kernels except
2.0.37 (and maybe 2.0.36?).

My 1520B has a recognition string at 0x3e20, which I located the hard
way for early kernels (< 2.0.36), but which whas checked for by 2.0.37.
For some reason that string was replaced by one at 0x0b in 2.2.10, which
didn't work for my card, so I had to patch it.

This made me suspicious that there might be some problem with the driver
for that card which had made the maintainer remove it. Since it worked
fine for disk and CDROM access, and I had these strange symptoms with
SANE, my suspicion centered on the interface for non-disk-block
transfers, or disconnect/reconnect. That is where I stand at the moment.

>also are you using a 2.2.10 kernel? and if so does it work better for you than
>say 2.2.4? cause Im having problems with 2.2.10 and higher includeing 2.3.5

The only 2.2.x kernel I have tried is 2.2.10. So far I have had no
problems at all with 2.2.10, except my continuing problem with SANE,
which now seems to at least refrain from crashing my system. I did have
to upgrade several utilities and rc.d files (as per
Documentation/Changes) in order to get it and PARIDE and sound to work.

From Al Anderson