Re: problems with HP SJ 4C and Linux

Peter Kirchgessner (peter@kirchgessner.net)
Mon, 31 May 1999 23:02:19 +0200

Britt Bolen wrote:

> I've got a stock RedHat 6.0 Linux machine running on a P166 with an
> ncr53c825 scsi controller.
>
> My machine sees the scanner as
>
> Vendor: HP Model: C2520A Rev: 3503
> Type: Processor ANSI SCSI revision: 02
>
> scanimage gives me this info....
>
> device `hp:/dev/scanner' is a Hewlett-Packard C2520A flatbed scanner
>
> When i set SANE_DEBUG_HP to 1 and try and grab an image, i get this
> output... (abridged)
>
> [hp] sanei_hp_device_new: /dev/scanner: found HP ScanJet model C2520A
> [hp] start: No request to mirror image vertically
> [hp] start: No request to mirror image vertically
> [hp] start: 2550 pixels per line, 319 bytes, 4199 lines high

Hi Britt,

up to here the SCSI communication was ok. Now the large amounts of data
will be transfered. Several possibilities for failure:

Termination ok ?
hp-backend in SANE V1.0 has some problems in it. If possible try
upgrading to SANE 1.01 ?

To localize the problem, you also can increase the value of
SANE_DEBUG_HP and SANE_DEBUG_SANEI_SCSI.

--Peter

> [hp] sanei_hp_scl_startScan: Start scan
> [hp] start_reader: reader proces 14468 started
> [hp] do_read: Start reading data from scanner
> [hp] do_read: Error from scsi_req_wait: Error during device I/O
> [hp] do_read: cleaning up leftover requests
> [hp] read: EOF from pipe
> [hp] do_cancel: child exited, status = 9
> scanimage: sane_read: Error during device I/O
>
> and it dies...
>
> I have stock 2.2.5 kernel with the generic scsi module loaded.
>
> Any ideas on why this is dieing?
>
> thanks a lot,
>
> Britt

Peter Kirchgessner