Re: scanimage error

Nick Lamb (njl98r@ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Sun, 23 May 1999 21:50:45 +0100 (GMT)

On Sat, 22 May 1999, Fernando Segura wrote:

> Aloha
> I've tried scanimage (scanimage -v -d=/dev/sgd >out.pnm) and it returned
> scanimage: open of device /dev/scanner failed: Invalid argument

Could someone look into adding a better message for this case. People
with just the wrong amount of Unix experience will inevitably fall for
this...

One possibility is that we could stop referring to SANE "devices", since
they are similar-to but not the-same-as Unix devices - and instead call
them SOURCES or something?

Otherwise we could alter this message to check for Invalid argument and
print an additional line...

"You must correctly specify a SANE device. To see a list of the SANE
devices detected on this system type scanimage -L"

Nick.