Re: Gamma and xsane

Oliver Rauch (oliver.rauch@Wolfsburg.DE)
Fri, 21 May 1999 22:24:47 +0200

Chris Bitmead wrote:

> Oliver Rauch wrote:
> > if the gamma slider in xsane is set to 1.0 the scanned data keeps untouched,
> > if you select another value, the data that comes from the scanner is transformed
>
> Do you lose any information this way?

Yes and no.
If you have a 8/24 bit scanner you reduce the number of used colors.
On 30 or 36 bit scanners you can use small gamma value changes (0.x-1.y)
without loosing any or much used colors.

> > If you need a gamma correction of 1.0 on your monitor, I think the contast and
> > brightness
> > of your monitor is much too high. Normally you need a gamma correction of about
> > 1.5 - 2.5
> > to get good results on a monitor.
> > Turn down brightness and contrast.
>
> I believe that on high-end equipment, like Silicon Graphics workstations
> and stuff, you can set the gamma to 1.0, and the video driver, or maybe
> the video hardware will transform it appropriately for the monitor. In
> other words, all software can assume a gamma of 1.0 and something
> in-between will adjust it appropriately. There is some command -
> "setgamma" or something. I think even some PC cards can do this too.
> Sounds like a neat idea.

That works with linux too, but if you want that your image looks ok on other
systems, you have to correct the colors that they look ok without any further
corrections!
If you use gamma=1.0 the images are all too dark!

Bye
Oliver

--
EMAIL: Oliver.Rauch@Wolfsburg.DE