Re: Gamma and xsane

Ewald R. de Wit (ewald@pobox.com)
Fri, 21 May 1999 09:45:59 +0200

Chris Bitmead (chris.bitmead@bigfoot.com) wrote:

> I've read a few things about what Gamma is and I think I understand it,
> but I'm still not clear on what the Gamma Slider does in xsane.
>
> Does the Gamma Slider:
>
> a) Have no effect on the resulting scan file, it merely assists viewing
> on your monitor.
>
> b) Modify the resulting scan file to look pleasant on your monitor (and
> thus render it potentially unpleasant on a different monitor).

That is answer b.

> How does it relate to archiving images? Should I leave the gamma alone
> for an archived image and only adjust it for a web image?

For both web and archival work a gamma of around 2.2 to 2.5 is
sensible with a PC type monitor. A gamma of 2.2 is used in most
contemporary standards. Your images will look too light on Macs as
they have an effective gamma of 1.8 but that's just the way it is.

If you want to know more about gamma then see
http://www.inforamp.net/~poynton/GammaFAQ.html

--
  --  Ewald