Re: Coolscan LS-30 + best scanner

Didier Carlier (carlierd@acm.org)
Fri, 14 May 1999 10:43:32 +0200 (CEST)

On 13-May-99 Ewald R. de Wit wrote:
>> > The best thing would be for you to get the Nikon LS30 and write
>> > the driver for it!
>>
>> How hard would that be? Do Nikon release specs? I would consider doing
>> it if it's not going to be some project that makes me tear my hair out.
>
> I believe Nikon releases the specs with no problems but I'm not sure.
> About how hard it is, I don't know. There is already a functioning
> Nikon backend and chances are that things need not be changed too
> much. Perhaps Didier Carlier knows more about this?

I have asked Nikon about the LS-30/LS-2000 interface specifications several
times last year and the last time I checked, the only way to get them was to
have a company or some other legal entity sign a non-disclosure agreement. Of
course this policy may very well change at any time and at least it wasn't a
plain 'no'...

As to how much the LS-20/1000 differ from the LS-30/2000 interface, I have
really no idea, sorry.

Best regards,
Didier