RE: Mustek parallel scanner Linux driver

Andreas Czechanowski (m075@ins.uni-stuttgart.de)
Wed, 5 May 1999 20:24:22 +0200 (METDST)

Hi Donnchadh,

On Tue, 4 May 1999, Donnchadh Ó Donnabháin wrote:

> Hi Wojtek,
> I haven't made much progress since then. If you want, I can send you
> or anyone else the current source code. At the moment, all I have is
> a Linux device driver which can read/write registers on the scanner ASIC
> and a few simple test programs. The scanner has to be controlled at a very
> low level. I am still trying to work out how to control the stepper motor.
> I have been able to switch the lamp on/off detect whether the cover is
> up/down and move the scanner head home. I have been looking at the Plustek
> parallel port driver and my driver will need to do a lot of the same things.
> I am 99% certain that I have correctly reverse engineered the low-level
> protocol but I still need to work out what the internal scanner registers
> mean. At the moment I don't use the parport driver and I need to clean up
> some of the code.

Oh my god ! Do the Mustek parallel port scanners have a own
microcontroller at all ? Or are they the "yet cheaper, yet lousier"
versions of the 600 II N, with only the ASIC and the ADC inside ?
(the 600 II N still has a 8031 type MCU)

When do the $1.99 scanners come, whose stepper motors and CCD sensors
are directly connected to the PCI bus ? (Why bother with internal
intelligence, since everyWin has a Pentium-II with 450 MHz or better
and else the CPU is useless anyway with these Microsoft-Games.

Good Luck !

Andreas.

--
Dipl.-Ing. Andreas Czechanowski                  Fon: +49-711-685-7335
andreas.czechanowski@ins.uni-stuttgart.de        Fax: +49-711-685-7311