Re: xsane default sizes

Nick Lamb (njl98r@ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Mon, 3 May 1999 07:00:55 +0100 (GMT)

On Sun, 2 May 1999, Bob van der Poel wrote:
> I don't know if you are saying that this *should* happen, or if it
> *does*. I do know that I had to add modify my ld.so.conf as per the
> instructions in the install docs. I'm running linux 2.0.36.
>
> Checking the makefile generated with configure I see that libtool is
> being used, but I don't understand what, exactly, it does.

I think Petter is actually saying that XSane is bodged -- it should
use libtool to create binaries which will actually work. I agree, at
least for the default ./configure; make; make install case -- a newbie
does not want to learn how the dynamic linker works in order to get
a working scanner application.

This is probably a symptom of XSane being re-packaged as a separate tool
rather than a patch against the normal SANE build directories. When
XSane was built inside SANE, it got the necessary paths automagically,
but now it needs some explicit magic to make this happen. I'm sure
Oliver will attend to this in good time..?

Nick.