Re: HP PhotoSmart R030 vs. SANE 1.01

Ewald R. de Wit (ewald@pobox.com)
Tue, 27 Apr 1999 11:30:43 +0200

Russ Price (rjprice@ais.net) wrote:

> I have one of these, and I've discovered that Kodachrome slides don't
> look too good when scanned. Even at 300% exposure with high levels of
> gamma correction, they still come out with a purplish tint. Are there
> any things I can reasonably do to improve this? The slides come out fine
> when using the windoze scanning software.

As an immediate but less ideal solution you could use xsane (see
http://www.wolfsburg.de/~rauch/
) which has separate R, G and B gamma's. But if you need a large
gamma then you will amplify the scanner noise an awfull lot.

I'm curious about the slides, are they underexposed, and do they look
purple when holding them to the light? If you could send me a raw scan
(say at 300 dpi) I would appriciate it. I'm writing a new frontend
that is especially tailored towards filmscanners.

> Also, when I scan a print, the preview window shows a bunch of jumbled
> image strips at the bottom of the print. That being said, prints come
> out quite well using SANE 1.01.

The garbage at the bottom is a known problem with the photosmart.

--
  --  Ewald