Re: SANE snapscan backend & agfa 1236

Nick Lamb (njl98r@ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Tue, 27 Apr 1999 02:01:38 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 26 Apr 1999, Kick Glorie wrote:

Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> > The driver recognizes the scanner perfectly, but all tests fail
> > (scanimage -T) and scanning is impossible.
>
> Do not run 'scanimage -T'. It fails, and leaves the SCSI driver and
> the scanner in a funny state. You have to turn the scanner off and
> on, and reload the scsi driver.

This is a serious bug. If the backend can't do what scanimage -T asks
of it, then it's broken. If we're shipping a backend that can't manage
scanimage -T then it should have a BUG entry in the man page warning
that's its not a conforming backend, and someone should being trying to
fix the bug.

This is why I wrote scanimage -T -- if your backend can't manage to do
what scanimage -T asks, then it doesn't conform to the SANE standard
=> any frontend may mysteriously crash or lock up at any time.

Nick.