Re: WinSANE0.9 and WinSANE 0.0.1.0

Nick Lamb (njl98r@ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Sat, 24 Apr 1999 19:47:33 +0100 (BST)

On Sat, 24 Apr 1999, John Profic wrote:

> WinSANE 0.9 even won't detect my scanner in it's dialog box, but command
> c:\windows\twain_32>scanchk.exe 192.168.1.5:hp
> says what is peresent. And in /var/log/messages writes:
> Apr 24 20:34:43 disk saned[3705]: access by sunil@dima accepted
> Apr 24 20:34:45 disk saned[3705]: close: error while decoding handle argument (h=61440, Success)
> and don't scan. But command
> c:\windows\twain_32>scanimg.exe -d 192.168.1.5:hp >image.pnm
> c:\windows\twain_32>works correctly
>
> WinSANE 0.0.1.0 says that it is supports only RGB 24-bit data, but as i
> know it scans whith default settings and this settings in nost of scanners
> is linaert

I have done test scans with WinSANE 0.0.0.0, haven't tried 0.0.1.0 yet but
I expect the same results. With a test backend, where I can choose the
default and precise behaviour, I can get a good scan. With a real scanner
as you noted, the default tends to be LineArt, which won't work in this
package yet. I think the developer of 0.0.1.0 is probably many months from
having a working package, which is a shame.

Also, it's about time these two developers sat down and decided who gets
to keep the "WinSANE" name for their product. My vote would be for the
0.9 version to keep the name, if its still in development. It didn't
work very well, but it beats the other one so far...

PS. Why is it so hard to make a working WinSANE? Working with the Unix
code I don't see much trouble at all, so is Windows really this much more
difficult to program...? I expected to see a Shareware frontend, just
working directly from the NET protocol, and I figured network admins
would often be happy to run a Shareware util on Windoze boxes (probably
already use WinZip and so on anyway)

Nick.