Re: Sane config thoughts

Hugo van der Kooij (hvdkooij@caiw.nl)
Fri, 23 Apr 1999 07:34:55 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 23 Apr 1999, Tripp Lilley wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Apr 1999, Oliver Rauch wrote:
>
> > The "normal" user does use a binary and that has to come with all backends
> > - or do you like to create dozens of sane-binaries -- for each scanner or
> > backend one?
>
> John -- Oliver makes a good point, but I come to a different conclusion
> than he does :-) Instead of investing your time in building patches to the
> source side, and instead of building "dozens of sane binaries" (which, I
> realize, was not at all your original suggestion), consider building a
> thoughtful RPM -- perhaps one that prompts the user for which backend(s)
> they'd like to install.

The current RPM split is 3way.
- SANE itself (all backends) about 2 MB
- SANE clients (scanimage/xscanimage/xcam) about 250 kB
- SANE development (the libraries) about 3.7 MB

Most installations wil require only the first two and you will end up with
less then 2.5 MB

Splitting up the lot for all the backends will result in 21 more packages.
Which will result in a lot of confusement for those that want to download
the files but don't know which one to take.

There is maybe 1.5 MB diskspace to win but the cost of utterly confused
people is not worth that gain. I mean: Scanning a normal photo will result
in about 5 to 10MB of data.

All in all: no further splitting up will be done.

Hugo.

| Hugo van der Kooij | Hugo.van.der.Kooij@caiw.nl |
| 3155 VJ Maasland | (De man met de rode hoed) |