Re: Sane config thoughts

Tripp Lilley (tlilley@perspex.com)
Fri, 23 Apr 1999 01:35:47 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 22 Apr 1999, Oliver Rauch wrote:

> The "normal" user does use a binary and that has to come with all backends
> - or do you like to create dozens of sane-binaries -- for each scanner or
> backend one?

John -- Oliver makes a good point, but I come to a different conclusion
than he does :-) Instead of investing your time in building patches to the
source side, and instead of building "dozens of sane binaries" (which, I
realize, was not at all your original suggestion), consider building a
thoughtful RPM -- perhaps one that prompts the user for which backend(s)
they'd like to install.

Or, perhaps something more like a "SANE Core" RPM, and individual "SANE
backend" RPMs for the different backends. I'd, of course, include the dll,
net, and pnm backends in the "Core" automatically.

It would be straightforward to build such RPMs straight from a "make rpm".

Yes, yes, I realize that not everyone is using SANE on Linux systems, or
even non-Linux systems with RPM ports. But, let's be honest, Linux is the
Windows of Unix :-) (which is to say that it's probably the most pervasive
Unix, at least among end-users, which makes it worth supporting). And Red
Hat is the Windows of Linux :-) Okay, end of analogy.

--
   Tripp Lilley + Innovative Workflow Engineering, Inc. + (tripp@iweinc.com)