Re: Star Office and scanner

Nick Lamb (njl98r@ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 22:33:29 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 22 Apr 1999, Phillip W Ross wrote:
> I'm definately impressed! I think Staroffice could use a little
> bit better documentation. I'm probably not alone on this opinion.

Does anyone know how StarOffice chooses to use SANE -- do they use a
static collection of backends built in to their proprietary (?) frontend
or do they use the dynamic linking features of SANE, and pull in the
libs according to dll.conf? I initially assumed they had re-implemented
SANE-net but the negative reports from people using a scanner on a
remote machine with StarOffice suggest otherwise.

Either way, if this is confirmed, the SANE web site should definitely
add a pointer (after checking with StarOffice's manufacturers) saying
"Look! SANE allows office productivity packages to work with any
supported scanner -- from a single common interface"

Nick.