Re: PNM backend (was Segfaults in 1.01-pre ...)

Tripp Lilley (tlilley@perspex.com)
Wed, 21 Apr 1999 15:09:53 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 21 Apr 1999, Nick Lamb wrote:

> Actually for my purposes the PNM backend isn't very useful anyway. I'm still
> working on a replacement test backend with behaviour which more closely
> resembles a real scanner. This should let people fiddle about with front-end
> code without needing a real scanner to hand, which the PNM backend is barely
> suitable for even when it works.

We should probably sync up, then. Work got in the way, but I have been
working on a thoroughly revised PNM backend that serves as (a) a skeleton
backend for fledgling backen writers and (b) a thorough exerciser of
frontends in the style you mention.

I started rewriting it when I contacted Andreas Beck about the bugs in the
1.00 version. I was (am) writing a Perl module SANE frontend, and needed
soemthing more robust than my UMAX scanner to exercise the frontend.

It would make sense for use to put our brains together and share what
progress we've made... I'm sending this to the list because there may be
others, as well, who've made changes to the PNM backend or others that are
relevant to this thread.

(BTW: re the "sidetracked by work" issue -- not a problem after May 1st.
I've resigned my current position, and my new position, by design, gives
me much more "sanctioned" time to work on SANE and other Open Source
projects).

--
   Tripp Lilley + Innovative Workflow Engineering, Inc. + (tripp@iweinc.com)