Re: Silly question?

Nick Lamb (njl98r@ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Tue, 20 Apr 1999 20:42:51 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 20 Apr 1999, Michael Sweet wrote:

> I added support for the "scsi ..." format to 1.0 (it wasn't in 1.0,
> but in the patches I posted and the pre1.01 release).

So, answering your own question. Yes, there's a known bug in SANE 1.00
where the HP backend doesn't work with "scsi HP" in the config file.
It seems like ancient history to those of us who've been subscribed to
this list for a while, but every new user with a HP scanner goes
through the following process

(1) Download SANE 1.00 (it's the stable, tested release, right?)

(2) Try to use it

(3) Doesn't work, complain to sane-devel mailing list

(4) Get told to remove "scsi HP" from the config file

(5) Now it works, happiness results

It doesn't matter that the bug was FIXED a week after 1.00, or an hour
or a second after. Users will run 1.00 because that's the stable version
from the site, even if you tell them it's a bug ridden pile of rubbish
(which it isn't) they'll still run 1.00 rather than 1.01pre-alpha-b0.1
because it *looks* like the stable version.

Even when 1.01 goes out the door (months late IMHO) there'll still be
6--12 months of the same old story, because users got 1.00 in their
copy of Red Hat, Caldera or whatever, and haven't updated. It's the
price you pay for the "Brown Paper Bag" mistake in v1.00

Nick.