Re: SCANPORT Support planned ??

Roderick Klein (rwklein@wxs.nl)
Tue, 20 Apr 1999 09:05:03 -0100

Anthony W. Henry wrote:

> I currently have a Scanport SQ-2400 SCSI scanner. This scanner is the
> only thing keeping Windows 95 on my harddrive.
>
> I have been contemplating buying a scanner on
> your supported list but the scanport does the job I want it for.
>
> What I would like to know is if their is any development
> work being done on Scanport scanners for SANE. If any
> work is being done I may decide to wait. (been waiting for
> almost 2 yrs now :) Otherwise I may have to budget for a new scanner
> and try to get $50.00 or so out of this scanport used.
>
> I am interested into going to a UNIX only system and your
> project is my great hope for doing that. (I had barely
> installed Linux when I bought the scanport. I have since gotten
> software for everything I do running under Linux.)
>
> If I do decide to buy a new scanner what is the **BEST**
> supported scanner for SANE that is still readily available on
> the market ??

Big change that is not an scanport but a more famous brand. The hus just
been changed. OEM resell I think. Look at the FCC number, go to
www.fcc.gov and search the database. When you found the manufactor goto
altavista or infoseek and enter the name. There is very big change that
you will end up in a site somewhere in Taiwan.

Why al this trouble well you may just be able to use your scanner with
an backend that has already been made. I have a Trust scanner and did
the same think as described. I found that my trust 2400SP is a scanner
from teco information products. It does not work with SANE.

Good Luck

Greetings Roderick Klein