Re: 16 bit per sample support

Nick Lamb (njl98r@ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Tue, 6 Apr 1999 22:02:02 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 6 Apr 1999, I wrote:

> The SANE standard doesn't "imply" anything from depth, it reflects the
> natural colour depth of the image data only. Most backends choose to use
> a transmission format (controlled as explained by Ewald below) which
> best matches their native colour depth. This is hardly surprising.

Well, I should read the documentation more clearly before making statements
like this. There is a case where the depth does "sort of" imply a data
transmission format from a depth value. In the case where the depth == 1
with value data (ie Lineart scans) SANE declares that this should be a
packed data format with 8 pixels per byte. This exception makes a lot of
sense (it seems to be the natural trasmission format for Lineart scans)
but it *is* an exception. So the general rule still stands.

Nick.