Re: microtek scanmaker again :-(

Nick Lamb (njl98r@ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Sun, 4 Apr 1999 09:51:17 +0100 (BST)

On Sun, 4 Apr 1999, De Clarke wrote:

> Excuse my Intel hardware idiocy, but, umm, how do you mean "if
> the card is actually a PCI device"? There are two kinds of
> slots on my motherboard, PCI and ISA, and they don't look
> the same :-) This card definitely fits in a PCI slot.

Right, OK. It can be difficult to judge your level of expertise, especially
when you follow up with something like...

> [root@musashi scsi]# file /proc/pci
> /proc/pci: empty

Try using cat, not file. The /proc interface lies about file sizes to
stay simple, so only tools like "cat" or "less" (not "more") will work
correctly on these types of file. Now there should be a whole lot of
info you never knew that Linux was keeping from you :)

Unfortunately, now that I know you've got a PCI card, the possibility of
it working is automagically less - because Linux will have seen it at
boot time, and would have tried to configure it, if it knew how. So this
may very well mean that there is no driver for your card :(

> How I long for the day when we will just be able to plug
> peripherals into our linux crates and use them... like the
> PCMCIA driver facility for laptops, now that is nice to use...
> no configuration, no mystery, no hassles, you plug in the little
> cards and they work ...

Heh. PCMCIA isn't a magic bullet. What you seem to have seen is the side of
PCMCIA advertised on TV. You've still got to have the drivers for every
card you might want to plug in. You still get mysterious interactions
between cards (in Linux or Win9x) and under the hood it's a mess.

The problem isn't Linux, its the PC peripherals market. If I tried to sell
Sun customers a card which was 10% cheaper, but only worked in machines
built on a Tuesday they'd laugh at me. PC customers are on a budget and
they'll buy crazy stuff -- like Parallel-port scanners, or WinModems which
make life hard for Linux driver writers.

Nick.