Re: Acer scanners

Jorgen Grahn (jorgen.grahn@opensoftware.se)
Tue, 23 Feb 1999 20:24:26 +0100

On Mon Feb 22 23:36:49 1999, you wrote:
> "Richard W. Knight" wrote:
> >
> > Has anyone had any success using the Acer flatbed scanners with SANE or any
> > other scanner drivers?
>
> The Acer 310S is nearly identical to the Agfa Snapscan 310S, only
> minor changes in the code are needed, unfortunately nobody has the
> time.... I did discover the similarity. My hope is, that the next
> version of the snapscan-modul will support Acer scanners as well.

I, too, am looking for info on the Acer scanners. The above is the same info
that you can find in several statements in the sane-devel archives. Hasn't
anyone investigated this further?

I purchased the AcerScan Prisa 620ST about a week ago. The scanner itself
looks nice, but it seems to prefer the accompanying SCSI card. And although
you can select a SCSI ID of 0-9 (sic!), you can't make the scanner terminate
the SCSI bus correctly without extra hardware (in my case, a ZIP drive ;-)
Oh, and the manual is awful, with the weirdest English I've seen. On the
other hand, on www.acerperipherals.com it seems they know what they're doing.

Anyway, I'll install the scanner+card+Windoze on my brother's computer
(where it is of most use anyway), then I'll mail a polite request to Acer to
persuade them to release programming info. SANE support in the future would be
great!

(End of mini-review and rambling.)

Further questions:

1. Is Vuego really the same company as Acer? I.e., would a Vuego 42FOO scanner
be exactly the same as an Acer 42FOO?

2. If Acer 310S is modified from Agfa Snapscan 310S, would that make an Acer
620ST a modified Agfa Snapscan <something>?

3. Assuming there is some support for the Acer 310S, using the SnapScan
driver, can anyone estimate the chances of a later model like the 620ST
working, too? Do they really mess that much with the protocols between
models?

regards,
Jörgen

--