Re: Microtek - Scanner and SCSI - Emulation over EPP

Dr. Andreas Bolsch (Andreas.Bolsch@maths.nott.ac.uk)
Sat, 20 Feb 1999 13:01:25 +0000

Warren Early wrote:

> Ditto...The Microtek scanners are really SCSI with an on-board
> parallel-to-SCSI adapter chip built in to the scanner. The manufacturer is
> On-Spec and the chip is the 90c26 series. Whats the current state of

That's interesting. I'd like to ask owners of mustek's SE parallel
port scanner to have a look inside. (But careful, of course, don't
touch the controller board!). If you open the cover there are only
two screws to remove, then the upper part of the case can be removed.

If they contain an SCSI controller (likely to be an 53C(?)?? as in
the SCSI version) there might be a similar chip. Would be either
in a PLCC or Flatpack package, i.e (almost) square with pins on
all four sides. There is a very large one bearing "Mustek", that's
probably an ASIC, one bearing ??C51/52 or ??C31/32 (an 8051
controller), and some other chips with pins on two sides only which
are out of the question (EPROM, dyn. RAM and some glue logic).
So, what else is there?