Re: Shared Library Problems? Oliver, William, and others reply

William McVey (wam@sa.fedex.com)
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 11:25:37 -0600

Jeff Evarts wrote:
>William: You quoted the part where I said "THIS IS NOT A SYMLINK",
>and then suggested that I not use symbolic links. I'm not. I
>swear. I wouldn't lie. :-)

Sorry, didn't see the note about it not being a symlink the first
time I read you email. The same thing applies though (at least
under the FreeBSD cam library) for *ANY* file not named the exact
name of the pass through device (under FreeBSD, it's /dev/pass[0-9]).
If you can believe it, cam_open_device doesn't open the filename
passed to it as an argument, it performs string operations to get
the trailing unit number, and opens up some other device sending
the unit number as an ioctl to the "real" device. This means config
files that reference hardlinks as well as any device nodes made
with mknod fail if they aren't named /dev/pass[0-9]. Have you
tried listing the native device (/dev/sg0 apparently) in you config
files?

-- William

P.S. You can see the original thread I posted about this by searching
for the subject of 'FreeBSD 3.0 CAM braindamage' in the SANE mail archives.