Re: Handheld scanners

Milon Firikis (milonf@ariadne-t.gr)
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 13:12:05 +0200

Frank Becker wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if there are any handheld scanners
> supported by SANE. The scanner type isn't mentioned on the
> backend list on the SANE web site. I suspect that's because
> all of them are flatbeds...?

Nop. It's because nobody has write a backend for them yet. Still there
may be other considerations also. Some of them are:

1)It's difficult (up to impossible) to get the specs
2)the actual hardware may need kernel level support (IO, IRQ, DMA,
direct support and such)
-However there was some discussion in this list about LHII, a kernel
level layer that will allow support for these kind of scanners. Search
for the LHII keyword in the list.

> The reason I'm asking, I wrote a backend for my handheld.
> It sortof works, but I have a few irks with the frontends.
> Maybe my backend isn't doing things correctly... On the
> windows software you had to tell the software when the
> scan was over. The (GUI)frontends only have a cancel button
> (maybe rename it to STOP?) which doesn't seem quite right.

Well, you have to tell us more. I am not sure what you are saying
here...

MF