Re: Logitech Scanners

Frank Becker (fbecker@nortelnetworks.com)
Mon, 15 Feb 1999 20:19:24 -0800

Hi.

Jonathan A. Buzzard wrote:

> Has anyone wanting to support Logitech scanners been in touch with Logitech
> recently? I know that the historically Logitech have denied Linux driver
> developers the technical information that they needed in order to write
> drivers.

I read somewhere on Logitech's Web site
http://www.logitech.com/us/about/al_010.html
that their scanner line wasn't doing so well so they sold
it to Storm Tech, which went bankrupt sometime last year.
If Logitech still has the scanner docs, they might give them
out now. Maybe it's just a matter of talking to the right
person...

> However I can across this yesterday while browsing the Linux USB pages,
> and have reproduced the section about Logitech below. From this it would
> appear that Logitech have had a change of heart with regard to Linux,
> and might be worth approaching again for specifications.
>
> Logitech designs, manufactures and markets Human
> Interface Devices, having a long history and experience in
> making devices such as keyboards, mice, trackballs,
> cameras, loudspeakers and control devices for gaming and
> professional use.
>
> Being a recognized vendor and seller for all these devices,
> they have donated USB mice, a joystick and a scanner, as
> a way to acknowledge the importance of Linux and to
> allow Logitech customers to enjoy support in their favorite
> operating systems and all Linux users to use Logitech and
> other USB hardware.
>
> I have four parallel port scanners listed on my web page, and I know they
> produced several other non-parallel port hand held scanners in the past.
> None of which appear to be supported by Sane. A quick search of my
> sane mailing list archive reveals at least 20 people asking about Logitech
> scanners, some quite recent.
>
> The original page can be seen at
>
> http://peloncho.fis.ucm.es/~inaky/uusbd-www/partners.html
>
> JAB.

Frank.

PS: Thanx for the pointer to IDA in one of your earlier
mails. Best of all it works in dosemu :)