Re: Getting a manufacturer to release specs?

Hugo van der Kooij (hvdkooij@caiw.nl)
Wed, 3 Feb 1999 23:29:09 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 3 Feb 1999, Rene Herman wrote:

> Hello everyone ...
>
> I assume this is a FAQ, but I just joined the list, and ...
>
> I am interested in developing a backend for my Trust EC9600P parallel port
> scanner, and requested programmers information from the manufacturer.
> Unfortunately, they are unwilling to provide this information, considering
> it confidential.
>
> I guess this was to be expected, but apart from telling them what a fine API
> SANE is, which I already did, are there any arguments I could use to try to
> persuade them? That is, have (some of) the other backends been developped in
> cooperation with manufacturers, if only by them releasing the specs on
> request?
>
> Failing to convince them, is trying to "reverse engineer" the Windows
> drivers the way to go? Would such have any effect on being able to
> distribute the backend?

Just tell them you will give a negative advise to any one who wants to
wether or not they should buy this scanner.

Hugo.

| Hugo van der Kooij | Hugo.van.der.Kooij@caiw.nl |
| 3155 VJ Maasland | (De man met de rode hoed) |