Re: Small parallel scanner

Larry Barlow (lbarlow@mail.cei.net)
Fri, 29 Jan 1999 20:13:19 +0000

Joseph Turian wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a small flatbed scanner that is not SCSI
> (i.e. parallel port)? My father got me a Canoscan 620P but I had him
> return it because it is unsupported according to previous mailing list
> messages I have read.
>
> ---
> joseph p turian
>
> "I must Create a System or be enslav'd by another Man's.
> I will not Reason & Compare: my business is to Create."
> ---William Blake

I just purchased an Artec AS6E parallel port scanner for $49 plus
shipping. This scanner will work with Linux if you download the Win 3.1
driver from Artec's web page (www.artecusa.com , I think) and install and
run it with Wine. Be sure to enable the parallel ports in the wine.conf
file. I purchased it from Tigerdirect. (tigerdirect.com).

The Win 3.1 driver is slower than the Win 95 driver but I have not been
able to the Win 95 driver to work under Wine. But all of the scanner
functions work under Wine. You get what you pay for but it does a good job
for a $49 scanner.