Re: Is it time to make it official? (was: Canoscan 620P)

Milon Firikis (milonf@ariadne-t.gr)
Fri, 29 Jan 1999 13:48:50 +0200

Stephen Martin wrote:

> Since I recently discoverd that my Canon scanner was not supported
> by Sane I tried to get the protocol information from Canon that might
> make it possible to write a Sane driver for it. The following is a
> transcript of the email conversation.

[snip the e-mail exchange]

Is there any possible way to standardize this procedure?

What I have in mind is like this:

1) An official <<polite>> letter asking for specs hosted in SANE WWW
home page. The scanner model and the company name are ommited|blanc of
course since we are planning to use this letter as template.

2) Next time we have a potential user complaining that SANE does not
support an unsupported scanner we can point him to the <<open letter>>
and ask him to try to get the specs.

3a) If the company release the specs then we have 50% of the problem
solved. The remaining 50% will be resolved by the time the proper
developer feels the desire to develop the above mentioned backend.

3b) If the company does not release the specs then we can put it, or put
some of their models in a black list or something in the SANE home page.

I am offering to search the sane-devel mailing list and find a good
template for the <<open letter>>. What do you think?

MF