Re: Parallel scanners... the continuity

Kevin R. Charter (charter@cs.rice.edu)
Sun, 24 Jan 1999 15:42:42 -0600

Steve Hammond wrote:

> Ok, so I can understand that even when a scanner is SCSI it is not a
> garanteed of success too...

There can be bugs in backends, and manufacturers may make changes
to the way newer revisions of the same model work that break
existing backends. I've had trouble getting the latest AGFA docs
and this inevitably means the SnapScan backend might not support
newer models well or at all. Unfortunately, there isn't a universal
protocol for how scsi scanners are supposed to work.

> The scapscan is the device driver developped by the Sane working group?

Not really a "working group." A few people (myself included) made
contributions to it. Other people have done (much more with) other
backends, frontends, and of course the SANE api specification and
all the enabling code.

Kevin

--
Kevin Charter                                            Grad Studies
charter@cs.rice.edu                    Department of Computer Science