Re: Scanner Purchase Advice short list

John M. Mills (jmills@jmills.gtri.gatech.edu)
Wed, 6 Jan 1999 16:43:52 -0500 (EST)

Sorry for the Linux-specific content ...

On Tue, 5 Jan 1999, Peter Kirchgessner wrote:
> Jeffrey Perry wrote:
> > 5? ) Any others which should be on this short list? I looked briefly at HP Scanjets but they
> > seem expensive for the price range I set (around $200)
> I can only tell about the HP scanners. You will not end up with $200.
> I suppose these are the parallel port scanners which are not supported.
> And if you buy a SCSI scanner, you are not quite sure if the SCSI card
> that you get with the scanner is supported by your OS (Linux I suppose).

I found an HP-4p new, discontinued for about $200US last Spring. I bought
a [scabby] Iomega Zip-Zoom SCSI card (Adaptec 1502e), which works but
won't identify itself to Linux, so I have to force-load the module at
boot. That type combo is near your budget. I also found a
factory-rebuilt PhotoScan at an Atlanta camera store for $100US off their
selling price for new units.

There is now a driver for the HP-supplied Symbios SCSI cards, but I
haven't tried it ('hporig', perhaps?). Has anyone had experience with that
Linux driver and SANE?

John M. Mills, Senior Research Engineer -- john.mills@gtri.gatech.edu
Georgia Tech Research Institute, Georgia Tech, Atlanta, GA 30332-0834
Phone contacts: 404.894.0151 (voice), 404.894.6285 (FAX)
"Give someone a fish and they can eat for a day. Teach them to use the
InterNet and they won't bother you for weeks." - from posted news item