Re: tamarack scanner

Robert Brink (linux4me@dds.nl)
Fri, 15 Jan 1999 15:13:43 +0100

Jan Christopher Bernauer wrote:

> I have a Tamarack scanner (12000) (actually itīs escom, but id says
> tamarack...).
> Since itīs said to be supported: Do you have got the scsi card supplied
> with that scanner get to
> work? Mine is ncr base, and the g_ncr5380 drivers finds it, but everytime i
> try to scan
> ( or run scsiinfo -s for that matter) I get "rejecting unknown message 0x80
> from host 0 id 5..."

What SCSI card do you use exactly? Look at the chip on the board, it
should say something like "NCR53c xxx" where xxx can be 400a, but it can
also be something else.

> and a complete dead machine (even magic req key doesnīt work...).

Sounds familiar to me :-(

> Scsiinfo -i works normally...
> I tried it with kernel 2.0.34 and 2.2pre5.

I have a Mustek scanner with NCR53c400a card and use the 2.0.36 kernel.
I downloaded the patch called
ftp://ftp.mostang.com/pub/sane/mustek-scsi-patch-0.5.gz
Unpack in your /usr/src/linux directory, apply the patch and recompile
the kernel.
I don't know whether you have a Plug'n'Pray version, or a version where
you have to jumper the card for a free I/O port. Mine is set to 0x340
which is a safe choice, when no other ISA SCSI devices are present. So I
install the driver with:
insmod g_NCR5380 ncr_addr=0x340
and then it works fine with me.

> Someone on linux-scsi said I should disable disconnect.... HOW? I canīt find
> any compile time
> switch nor a runtime method of deactivating disconnection....

As long as the scanner is the only device connected to your SCSI
interface card, this option doesn't really matter. It is included in the
NCR driver, though.

Good luck!

Robert Brink
linux4me@dds.nl