Re: Scanner Purchase Advice short list

Andreas Dilger (adilger@enel.ucalgary.ca)
Tue, 5 Jan 1999 22:47:06 -0700 (MST)

Jeffery Perry writes:
> 2) UMAX Astra 1200S or 1220S
>
> This model has had extremly poor support from the US support
> office lately and the company apparently initially lied about a current
> problem with the ROM. US office has decided not to fix it
> UK office is shipping upgrade roms or replacing it if you
> ship scanner.
>
> Q: I believe I understand that the ROM is only an issue
> if you upgrade to a newer version of their TWAIN drivers
> or other shipped software. Am I correct? I am a bit fuzzy
> on this. The problem is that bw scans stop working apparently
> and this makes it useless for OCR unless you buy color OCR software.

Never heard of this problem, never had it myself, although I don't use
the line art mode at all. Even so, you could always do color or grayscale
scans and do the thresholding afterwards...

> Q: Confirm: The card it ships with is 25 pin SCSI so I will need
> some convertors

Mine came with a useless SCSI card. The connector on the scanner and card
are both 25-pin D shell. I got a 25-50 SCSI cable for about $15 to connect
to my AHA 1542CF card (which also has all my internal disks on it. No
problems so far. The cable is often called a "Mac SCSI cable" and can be
had for relatively cheap. If you don't already have a SCSI card, the
Future Domain 830 card (and probably others in the family) have an external
25 D connector on them, and I just got one for $15 at a surplus store.

> Q: Comes with SCSI terminator? Needs one? Built-in?

Yes, it includes a 25D terminator for the second port on the scanner.

> Other drawbacks/inconveniences:
> - No on/off switch
True, but the lamp turns itself off after a while...
> - lid hinge may snap if raised to too great an angle
Don't do that
> - bad docs but good web troubleshooting guide
Never used em, since they don't mention Linux at all anyways...
> - lock/unlock switch needs to be in middle for proper operation
never had that problem

Cheers, Andreas

--
Andreas Dilger  University of Calgary \ "If a man ate a pound of pasta and
                Micronet Research Group \ a pound of antipasto, would they