Re: Scanner Purchase Advice short list

Bernd Schroeder (bernd@aquila.muc.de)
Tue, 5 Jan 1999 16:41:25 +0100

On Wed, Dec 30, 1998 at 02:06:44AM -0500, Jeffrey Perry wrote:
> Well after spending the day on reasearch I am pretty much
> where I expected.
>
> I am pretty tired :-)
>
> I have a few Qs then I want to make the purchase:
>
> Short List of choices: (in current order of preference)
>
> 1) Microtek X6EL (#1 pick for me because of included slide support)
>
> Q: SANE Supported?? I see evidence in archives that X6 (apparently
> a parallel port version) is. I also see patches for X6EL.

The X6EL should work with a newer version of the backend, available on

ftp://ftp.muc.de/people/bernds/mtek2/microtek2-pre0.6.291298.tar.gz .

However, this version has lots of changes, and is not too well tested.
Alternatively you need perhaps a small patch to the 0.5 version of the backend
included in sane-1.00.

> Q: The company website showed NO info on any of the listed
> SANE supported models. Are these all older models the
> company may not be supporting any more?

No, but for a number models no one has reported success wirh sane, and
so they are not on the list of supported scanners. I think, that at least
some of the (SCSI) models that are not listed, work with the microtek2
backend (V300, V310, V600, X6EL, eventually with very few changes)

> Q: I read one or two comments about the slide support
> which apparently is bundled in. They said it was
> a bulky device which did not sit flat and had to
> be held in place by hand under the cover. Is this
> true? OR is it a light lid like many others?

Yes, this is true. A lightlid (transparency adapter) is separately available.
But I do not know, whether this slide and filmstrip adapter works.
Preliminary support for it is the version of the backend mentioned above,
but I think that no one tested it. I cannot do this myself, because my
scanner does not support this adapter.

> Is it any good? Any other comments?

I don't know, but I cannot imagine, that it produces excellent results.

> Q: Confirm: Comes with Adaptec 2902 e/i ?

Don't know.

> Q: Will Linux support Adaptec 2902 e/i ?

I am not sure about this.

Bernd

--
Bernd Schroeder