Re: Sane and xscanimage

John M. Mills (jmills@jmills.gtri.gatech.edu)
Tue, 29 Dec 1998 14:00:30 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 29 Dec 1998, Hugo van der Kooij wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Dec 1998, Morris R. Bannerman wrote:
> > I have attached the config.log to see if there are clues in there. The
> > terminal window has the following mesage:
> > [snip]
> > checking for gtk-config... /usr/X11R6/bin/gtk-config
> > checking for GTK - version >=0.99.13... no
> > *** Could not run GTK test program, checking why...
> > *** The test program failed to compile or link [snip]
>
> Make sure you only have 1 (yes: ONE) tree for GTK stuff. If you have
> something under /usr/local as well you are in trouble (as you may hava
> found out)
> Hugo.

This is the specific thing which required me to explicitly specify the
'prefix' before I built SANE. I had installed GTK-1.0.5, but this test
did not find it. After I configured thus:
'./configure --prefix=/usr/local'
the build went fine. Perhaps there is an unintended sensitivity in the
test - I didn't look at how it was being done. My GTK installation
matched the assumptions of 'gimp' -- probably not an uncommon situation.

John M. Mills, Senior Research Engineer -- john.mills@gtri.gatech.edu
Georgia Tech Research Institute, Georgia Tech, Atlanta, GA 30332-0834
Phone contacts: 404.894.0151 (voice), 404.894.6285 (FAX)
"Give someone a fish and they can eat for a day. Teach them to use the
InterNet and they won't bother you for weeks." - from posted news item