Re: HP OfficeJEt

Peter Kirchgessner (pkirchgessner@t-online.de)
Fri, 25 Dec 1998 00:56:15 +0100

Baudeuin Raphael wrote:

> About the OfficeJet, Is there a project to write a driver for it? If yes, who
> does it. If no, anyone interested in doing that with me? I don't have the
> skills to do it alone..... But I really would like to do it.....
>
> Raph.

Hi Raph,

I can only give you some hints because I dont have a parallel port
scanner.
Assuming that the OfficeJet supports SCL (scanner control language),
it should be possible to use the hp backend as an interface to send the
commands
and reading the data.
The OfficeJet is not listed in the SCL documentation. But it says, that
the scanners
are using an EPST-device to do a parallel-to-SCSI conversion inside the
scanner.
You can find a very preliminary epst-driver for Linux at
http://www.torque.net/linux-pp.html . Select 'Drivers for parallel port
SCSI' and
you will find a section about 'Shuttle technologies'. There you can
download
the files epst.c and epst.h (always assuming that the EPST-device
mentioned
in the HP documentation is from Shuttle technologies).
I have also heard rumors that Linux 2.2 has some new device drivers for
the
parallel port.

--Peter

--