Re: hp-backend: 2nd try parallel support and new ADF support

Martin Huber (hu@garfield.m.isar.de)
Mon, 14 Dec 1998 21:34:16 +0100 (MET)

> From: pkirchgessner@t-online.de (Peter Kirchgessner)
>
> Hello,
>
> a new beta version of the HP backend is available at
> http://www.kirchgessner.net
> The first attempt for parallel support only worked for
> HP ScanJet Plus which came with its own parallel
> interface card. This time the sanei_pio-module is used.
> You have to setup your /usr/local/etc/sane.d/hp.conf
> as follows:
> /dev/<device-name> parallel
>
> HP ScanJet Plus users must now use
>
> /dev/<device-name> hpparallel
>
> Another feature to test is ADF support for xscanimage.
> When using with scanners which have an ADF, it should
> show a new toggle "Scan from ADF" and a new button
> "Change document". If you want to use the ADF, activate
> the toggle and press "change document" to load a sheet
> from the ADF-BIN. Then you should be able to select the
> scan window and start a scan. THIS IS THE THEORY.
> PARALLEL SUPPORT AND ADF SUPPORT IS TOTALLY
> UNTESTED. SO BE AWARE TO PLUG OFF THE
> SCANNER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU DETECT STRANGE
> BEHAVIOUR. Before starting the makefile, please 'rm hp*o'.
> Please e-mail bug reports or success-reports to
> sanel-devel@mostang.com

I tried this backend with an HP "ScanJet ADF" (identified
by find-scanner: found processor "HP C6270A 3824").
I found no effect of the "Scan from ADF" button.
If a document is loaded in the ADF, it will be scanned,
regardless if "Scan from ADF" is checked or not.

--martin