Re: Solaris 2.6 w/ HP ScanJet 4c

Hugo van der Kooij (hvdkooij@caiw.nl)
Sat, 12 Dec 1998 19:04:18 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 12 Dec 1998, Michael Sweet wrote:

> Hugo van der Kooij wrote:
> > But why not use diff -uNr between an original tree and a new tree?
> > Which would have resulted in a common type of patchfile.
> >
> > (Like: diff -uNr sane-1.00.old sane-1.00 )
>
> First, unified diffs are only supported by recent versions of patch;
> I *always* use context diffs to avoid problems. So, your command
> example *should* be:
>
> diff -cNr dir.old dir
>
> Second, I don't keep a complete copy of the original distribution on
> disk - we support so many FSF programs that I'm running low on disk
> space on our "GNU" disk (9GB, filling up fast). Instead I have a
> script I run to edit files that sees if the original file is present
> (*.orig) and if not makes a copy before invoking the editor. Then
> I have a script that generates a diff of all changed files.
>
> FWIW, if your patch programs are not recognizing this, then they are
> not configured properly. I just checked the patch against the patch
> program I have on my systems, and it worked under IRIX 5.3, 6.2, 6.5,
> Solaris 2.5.1, Solaris 2.6, Digital UNIX, and HP-UX 10.20 and 11.0 (I
> haven't checked it on our Linux systems yet...)

I am sorry to disappoint you but the patch does not work at all on Solaris
v2.6 with GNU patch v2.5! I can't see what I should configure about patch?

(Forcing context diffs didn't work. Nor did reverse notation nor the
combination of these two options. All tested from the commandline.)

So at present this patch is useless to me.

Hugo.

| Hugo van der Kooij | Hugo.van.der.Kooij@caiw.nl |
| 3155 VJ Maasland | (De man met de rode hoed) |