Re: Solaris 2.6 w/ HP ScanJet 4c

Michael Sweet (mike@easysw.com)
Sat, 12 Dec 1998 09:54:15 -0500

Hugo van der Kooij wrote:
> But why not use diff -uNr between an original tree and a new tree?
> Which would have resulted in a common type of patchfile.
>
> (Like: diff -uNr sane-1.00.old sane-1.00 )

First, unified diffs are only supported by recent versions of patch;
I *always* use context diffs to avoid problems. So, your command
example *should* be:

diff -cNr dir.old dir

Second, I don't keep a complete copy of the original distribution on
disk - we support so many FSF programs that I'm running low on disk
space on our "GNU" disk (9GB, filling up fast). Instead I have a
script I run to edit files that sees if the original file is present
(*.orig) and if not makes a copy before invoking the editor. Then
I have a script that generates a diff of all changed files.

FWIW, if your patch programs are not recognizing this, then they are
not configured properly. I just checked the patch against the patch
program I have on my systems, and it worked under IRIX 5.3, 6.2, 6.5,
Solaris 2.5.1, Solaris 2.6, Digital UNIX, and HP-UX 10.20 and 11.0 (I
haven't checked it on our Linux systems yet...)

I'm using patch v2.1 (IRIX and Solaris), 2.5 (Digital UNIX), and 76.1
(HP-UX).