Re: HP ScanJet not recognized w/ scanimage -L

John Stoffel (john.stoffel@ascend.com)
Thu, 3 Dec 1998 16:52:29 -0500 (EST)

> Hello. I have an HP ScanJet 5, and am able to scan images by
> explicitly pointing (x)scanimage to the scanner, but they will not
> find it on their own (rendering the gimp plugin unusable). I set
> SANE_DEBUG(DLL&HP) to 255, and this is the output I received:

> [jello@local ~]$ scanimage -L
> [sanei_init_debug]: Setting debug level of dll to 255.
> [dll] adding backend hp
> [dll] loading backend hp
> [dll] dlopen()ing `/usr/lib/sane/libsane-hp.so.1'
> [dll] init: initializing backend `hp'
> [sanei_init_debug]: Setting debug level of hp to 255.
> [hp] init called
> [hp] get_devices called
> [hp] scsi_new: open failed (Invalid argument)
> [hp] scsi: Can't open scsi device
> [dll] exiting
> [dll] calling backend `hp's exit function
> [hp] exit called
> [jello@local ~]$

> I'm using sane 1.00, and I tried this under Linux kernels 2.0.36, and
> 2.1.129 with the same results. If I run find-scanner it finds my scanner
> right away. The scanner is hooked up to an (onboard) Adaptec 2940UW, and
> the machine is a dual PII 333 (not sure if that makes a difference) Thanks
> for any help you could offer.

I ran into just the same sort of problem and I think I have a solution
for you. Go edit /usr/local/sane/etc/hp.conf and remove the line that
says 'hp SCSI' and just put in a line like this:

/dev/scanner

and of course make sure /dev/scanner points to the proper device,
which is /dev/sga on my box (2.0.32). For some reason, the SCSI
autodetect code isn't working properly in sane 1.0 quite yet, and I
haven't had a chance to boot up Linux at home lately to see what I can
figure out about it.

John
John Stoffel - Senior Unix Systems Administrator - Ascend Communications
john.stoffel@ascend.com - http://www.ascend.com - 978-952-7548
Geological time is not money. - Mark Twain