Re: News from Minolta

Michael K. Johnson (johnsonm@redhat.com)
Thu, 19 Nov 1998 11:34:21 -0500

David Rose writes:
>What can anyone tell me about this? People who have worked with
>other scanner and camera companies, what experiences have you had?

UMAX has a fax-back service and one of their documents is a one-page
request for development docs, including a complete protocol spec for
their SCSI scanners. It arrived within a week. They also sent out
a pdf version of the same document, with color-coded changes to make
it easy for developers to see what had changed recently.

UMAX doesn't release programming documentation for their parallel
port scanners, but that's only becuase they think (doh!) that they
have made the parallel port do magic that no one else in the
universe could figure out.

michaelkjohnson

prudent as the heavy petting of literature." -- Fran Lebowitz
Linux Application Development http://www.redhat.com/~johnsonm/lad/