Re: Black Widow Scanners

Dave Restall - System Administrator (dave@restall.net)
Fri, 23 Oct 1998 19:52:03 GMT

Hi,

On Sun, Oct 18, 1998 at 08:17:39AM +0000, Dave Restall - System Administrator wrote:

[...]

>> The inquiry result doesn't seem to follow the spec, the spec does say
>> 0x02 for the response code, could you have transcribed the data
>> incorrectly ?

> No, the 0x01 is in there. I only wrapped the only original long line, and
> added the byte count at the beginning of the lines to make it easier to
> to read (and failed to add 8 to 80, if you read it carefully). But
> the inquiry information is ok.

Yes, I saw this but wondered if you'd typoed the 01 and done 02. Oh
well.

As it happens, I did receive a mail from Pascal about Black Widow and it
seems that Scanace did not necessarily make the model in question. I
haven't got the inquiry information for mine but it is a Black Widow
SCANPRO 9630 SP (It also has PIE and Devcom International written on
it).

At boot time, it's detected and shows the following in /var/log/messages :-

>... basil kernel: Vendor: PIE Model: ScanAce II Rev: 2.21
>... basil kernel: Type: Scanner ANSI SCSI revision: 02
>... basil kernel: Detected scsi generic sgb at scsi0, channel 0, id 6, lun 0

So my model is using revision 2 SCSI.

When I get to this level and I see the problems everybody has, I ask
myself "Why do we need standards ?" ;-)

Regards,

Dave.
mail/sane/981023.tx sane
bernd@aquila.muc.de
| Dave Restall Internet Intranet Resourcing Consultancy Limited |
| Tel. +44 (0) 1287 653003 Mob. +44 (0) 973 831245 Fax. +44 (0) 1287 653440 |
| email : dave@iirc.net dave@restall.net Web : http://www.iirc.net |