Re: AS6e under WINE: It works!

Andrew Williams (woodchuk@bellatlantic.net)
Sat, 10 Oct 1998 11:15:58 -0400

Michael Katz-Hyman wrote:

> I got the Artec AS6e epp scanner driver to run under Wine. It scans in
> color, gray, and line mode, and it can save the scanned image in tiff or
> bmp format. It also has area selection and other stuff.
>
> READ: maybe somebody with experience with wine can use wine to figure
> out the protocol so that a native sane driver can be written
>
> Here is how I did it:
>
> Upgraded to the newset wine release: 980913 (980822 also works)
>
> Made sure my .winerc file specified access to my parallel ports:
>
> [ports]
> read=0x779,0x379,0x280-0x2a0,0x278-0x27f,0x378-0x37f
> write=0x779,0x379,0x280-0x2a0,0x278-0x27f,0x378-0x37f
>
> Dowloaded the newest Win3.1 drivers for the AS6E. Make sure their the
> newest. To be sure just download from
> www.erols.com/mkatshym/as6e-31.exe
>
> use wine to run the setup program and install the drivers. Run wine on
> the executable.
>
> Michael Katz-Hyman

I've gotten this to work very well.
My query is this, I would like someone to tell me how or what i could
use to trap the signals to the scanner so i can at least do something to
contribute to the developement of a sane drive for my scanner. I'm not a
programmer but i would still like to contribute in any way I can.

Thanks in advance.
Andrew Williams