saned

Terry Mackintosh (terry@terrym.com)
Thu, 8 Oct 1998 10:11:17 -0400 (EDT)

Hi

Using sane 0.73, it seemed to be the latest on sunsite at the time I got
it.

On Thu, 8 Oct 1998, Hugo van der Kooij wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Oct 1998, Terry Mackintosh wrote:
> > After putting the entries in /etc/inetd.conf
#sane stream tcp nowait nobody /usr/local/sbin/saned sane
sane stream tcp nowait nobody.nobody /usr/local/sbin/saned sane

Ok, I took the 'd' off the very end, and tried both lines. This is what
you meant earlyer when you said it should just be 'sane'?

> > and /etc/services,
> > sane 6566/tcp # SANE network scanner daemon

same

> As soon as a session comes to port 6566 then saned will be started
> automagiaclly. Just like ftpd and telnetd

OK, so now saned is set up on 'home' box, and when I do:
scanimage -L
on 'laptop' ... on laptop I get nothing, just a new prompt, on home, in
the messages log I get:

Oct 8 09:39:08 home saned[331]: access by root@laptop accepted
Oct 8 09:39:08 home saned[331]: exiting

So, saned is running, the laptop does talk to it on home, but it does not
see any scanner devices, why?

Recall that if I comment out the lines in inetd.conf and services, and run
saned from the command line with '-d', then the laptop does see the
scanner, and can even use it.

Also note that every thing works great (not via net) on the home box.

Thanks, and thanks very much for sane.
Terry Mackintosh <terry@terrym.com> http://www.terrym.com
sysadmin/owner Please! No MIME encoded or HTML mail, unless needed.

Proudly powered by R H Linux 4.2, Apache 1.3, PHP 3, PostgreSQL 6.3