Re: Problems with sane & AVA15xx

Oliver Neukum (neukum@fachschaft.org.chemie.uni-muenchen.de)
Thu, 25 Jun 1998 23:23:13 +0200

lduperval@sprint.ca wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm having a bit of trouble using my AVA1502 with my Umax1220S scanner.
> Here is a breakdown of what I've found.

My hardware: Microtek ScanMaker 600 GS / AVA1502E

> The scanner is only seen if I am root. The device is there (/dev/sga).

i experience quite the contrary:scanimage as root hangs
scanimage -L as another user works

> When I put a link from /dev/scanner to /dev/sga, running scanimage
> tries to find the device twice and then hangs the machine. Yes, the

2 detections, me tooscanning leads to a panic in aha152x
i suspect a bug in the kernel, the driver crashes 2.1.106 at boot

> whole machine. THis is the first time this has happenend to me since I
> installed Linux on my PC (a few years, actually). If I'm not root, only
> the pnm devices are seen.
>
> Does anyone have an idea what the problem is?
>
> Also, I've noticed that when I reboot, the scanner is not recognized,
> whether it be by Linux or Win95. In order to get it recognized, I have
> to turn off the system and restart it. Any idea why this happens?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Laurent
>
> --
> Laurent Duperval | The opinions expressed herein do not
> Systems Analyst | represent those of this establishment.
> | For all I know, they may not even represent
> lduperval@sprint.ca | my own, depending on the time of day.
>
> This election is about who's going to be the next President of the
> United States!
> -- Vice President Dan Quayle, 1988

as for getting a new controller:
1. i wish i had the money
2. if the controller is supported, it might work slowly, but it is supposed
to work.
there is a bug somewhere either in sane or in the kernel or in the card's
hardware.
i hate to say it, other operating systems can do it :-(

Oliver