Re: os/2 and Parallel scanners

Fredrick P. Eisele Sr. (feisele@ameritech.net)
Fri, 12 Jun 1998 02:02:59 -0400

Chris Sparks (aka Mr. Ada) wrote:

> For my device, the manufactorer doesn't want to give anything out. Well at
> leastto me. Others they have given information out. It is these other
> recipients I am
> complaining about since they either never respond or rarely respond.

Are you sure they have given out this info?
Is this true are the manufacturers just getting tired
of giving out the same info without results?
If this is true we should be pooling our
resources, i.e. some people who are good at
sweet talking manufactures and those of us who
would rather just hack?
I am currently trying to get some specs for a rather
obscure scanner and having a heck of a time getting it.
One of the reasons I have not been pursuing this to
strongly is that I have looked at the Linux2.1.x drivers
and see a lot of neat stuff to make the writing of
specific kernel drivers unnecessary (provided the
manufacturer follows one of the IEEE specs).
In any case I am hoping to write a user space meta
driver for the scanner I have.

Opinions?
Freed