Re: Highscreen HighScan and microtek2-backend

Hugo van der Kooij (hvdkooij@caiw.nl)
Sun, 7 Jun 1998 19:29:06 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 7 Jun 1998, Florian Centler wrote:

> Got a Highscreen HighScan yesterday and after some struggling I got it
> working with the microtek2 backend.
>
> Perhaps this information is usefull for some people ...
>
> I first tried to get the scanner running with the microtek backend as the
> manpage said it supports it. But even fooling the backend concerning the
> reported model-code, it won't run.
>
> So I tried to use the microtek2 backend and after makeing it accepting the
> modelcode "0x92", which is reported by the scanner, it worked.
>
> I am using the Adaptec AVA1502AE SCSI-Adapter that came with the unit. At
> first, I disabled "SCSI-DISCONNECTION" as it is said in the
> scanner-manual. But using this setting, it took quite a while until the
> scanner actually started scanning, and lot's of interrupts were produced
> on the aha152x-driver. After enabling SCSI-Disconnection on the Adapter,
> everything worked fine.
>
> I guess, the HighScan is nowadays a Microtek 330.
>
> If some further information is needed to integrate support for this
> scanner into the backend, please let me know.
>
> But there's one thing I don't understand:
> Although using a separate SCSI-Adapter for the Scanner, it locks the whole
> system while the scan is in progress.
> I can't even move the mouse while doing a scan.
> What's the reason for this???

Bad hardware and software. The Adaptec 1502 is a dump card which relies
heavily on the CPU. And as ISA busses are not that smart you are
experiencing a massive drain of resources during your scan as the card
locks up large parts of the system.

Hugo.

| Hugo van der Kooij | Hugo.van.der.Kooij@caiw.nl |
| 3155 VJ Maasland | (De man met de rode hoed) |